Thursday, February 26, 2009

Module Three Tasks - Blogs

I love multi-tasking, being able to do two things at once can be a blessing and is what I aspire to, so when I found that “blog” was a noun and a verb – I felt the calling!

One of the best descriptions for blogs that I have heard was to think of them like a Star Trek Captains log, by the way Janeway is my favourite, brains, beauty, compassion, strength, she had it all ;).  There are millions of blogs – personal, travel, Q&A, fashion, legal, news, corporate, political – anything and everything can be blogged.  With so many out there (although not all of them are active) it wouldn’t be hard to find one or more that interested you or a blogger that you enjoyed reading.

Finding credible news blogs might be a bit tricky but having them as part of the alternative public sphere means we don’t always have to rely on mainstream media.  The blogs kept by Iraqi civilians during and after the war are certainly eye openers, allowing you to see the war in a completely different way, here is an example.

An unexpected by-product of blogging is how it may boost your social life by making you feel more part of a community and less isolated.

As for keeping a blog myself, I don’t think I have the commitment to properly maintain one, which means, according to the Gartner Group (a US information technology research and advisory company), I would be contributing to the “dotsam” and “netsam” floating out on the web.

Technorati lists the top 100 blogs, a sure fire way to use up a couple of hours ;)

No comments: